This dish is from the Buckingham Palace reception menu posted on December 13. I’ll be posting recipes from the menu all week, kosher-fied and with additional special touches, so that you can recreate the menu for your wedding.
In this dish, chicken breasts are baked with a sauce of sautèed mushrooms and rosemary. This preparation is easier and less time consuming than the stuffed chicken breasts in the original menu.
Recipe: Baked Chicken Breast with Mushrooms
- 25 whole boneless chicken breasts with skin (about 1 pound), halved
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 6 cups (48 fl. oz.) chicken broth
- 1½ cup good quality red wine (kosher)
- 1 Tbsp. dried rosemary
- Garnish: Sprigs of fresh rosemary (optional)
Instructions for Chicken Breasts with Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper and paprika.
- In a large sauce pan heat 3 Tbsp oil to moderately high heat. Brown chicken breasts, about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to shallow baking dish. (Use enough baking dishes for all the chicken to sit in one layer.)
- When all the chicken has been browned, lower saucepan heat to medium. Sautè mushrooms and garlic for 8 minutes. Pour off all but 2 Tbsp of the liquid that remains.
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and stir. Add chicken broth, stirring to pick up any browned particles that remain in sauce pan.
- Add red wine and rosemary. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until sauce is smooth. Pour over chicken.
- Cover pans tightly with foil and bake 35 to 40 minutes.
Make Ahead Option
Can be made in advance up until all the ingredients are in the baking pan. Refrigerate overnight, until ready to bake.