This dish is from the Buckingham Palace reception menu posted on December 13. I’ll be posting recipes from the menu all week, kosher-fied and with additional special touches, so that you can recreate the menu for your wedding.
This is the final dish in our Buckingham Palace reception menu. The traditional English dinner is meat and two veg. We put the two veg’s into one simple-to-prepare side dish. (And if you ask for this dish at Buckingham Palace, be sure to pronounce the “h” in the word herbed.)
The recipe is based on the herbed green beans in Jeanne Jones Entertains: Cook It Light Menus for Every Occasion. I don’t think the book is in publication anymore, but it’s been a good friend to me.
Recipe: Herbed Green Beans and Carrots (Parve)
- 2 lbs. fresh green beans
- 2 lbs. fresh carrots, cut into long thin pieces
- 6 Tbls canola or corn oil
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped, or 1 heaping Tbls dried
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup finely chopped chives
- In batches, steam the vegetables for 5 minutes. Rinse under cold running water, drain, and set aside.
- Using two large skillets, heat 3 Tbls of oil in each skillet. Add half the herbs and salt to each skillet. Add half the vegetables to each skillet. Heat just to serving temperature.
Make Ahead Option
Steam the vegetables the day before. After they’ve cooled under the running water and drained. refrigerate them in sealed bags. Reheat them with the herbs the next day.
See the full Wedding Menu Fit for Royalty (You!)
√ Read more recent posts…