These instructions will give you a high-quality table runner. You can use just about any type of fabric: linen, cotton, velvet, whatever fits the style of your wedding. If you want to use the runner after your wedding and the fabric is washable, wash and dry it before you cut it.
- The length of the runner will be the total length of the table plus 30 inches. Buy runner fabric and lining fabric in a length that is a little more than half the length of the runner.
For example, if the runner is for three 8' tables put together, the length of the runner will be:
(8 x 12") x 3 + 30" = 318" or 8.8 yards. Half of the length is 4.4 yards.
In this case, buy 4½ yards of runner fabric and 4½ yards of lining fabric.
- Cut the pieces out of the fabric and lining as shown in the diagram below. One piece should be half the length of the runner and 16″ wide. The other two pieces should each be a quarter the length of the runner and 16″ wide.
- For both the runner and lining, sew the shorter pieces to the ends of the longer piece with straight seams and the right sides of the fabrics facing each other. Use a 5/8″ seam allowance.
- Press the seams open.
- Pin the runner fabric the lining fabric, right sides together. Sew around all four edges of the runner, leaving a 5″ opening. Trim the fabric at the corners of the runner.
- Pull the runner fabric right side out through the opening. Press the edges. Sew the opening closed by hand. Sew around the entire runner, 1/8 – ¼” away from the edge.