This week at Backyard Huppah, we’re all about hors d’oeuvre receptions, a great option for small weddings. We started with tips for Hors d’Oeuvre Receptions, and all week we’ll be posting hors d’oeuvre recipes for a 40-person reception. The menu will be kosher, and meaty (with vegetarian options), with make-ahead options for couples self-catering their reception.
See the full Hors d’Oeuvres Reception Menu
This recipe comes from New Kosher Cuisine for All Seasons. The contributor, Sara Abramovitz, writes that her great grandmother brought this treat to America from Bohemia, where they were an important part of every simcha.
Serve them toward the end of an hors d’oeuvre reception, after the cake has been served. They would also be great for a dessert reception.
Ingredients for Parve Bourbon Balls
Yields 38-40 balls
- 1 3/4 cups parve vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1 cup peacan pieces (or substitute walnuts or almonds)
- 4 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup bourbon whiskey or rum
- 3 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- Ground nuts, powdered sugar, cocoa, coconut, or instant coffee powder (optional)
Instructions for Bourbon Ball Recipe
- Pulverize wafer crumbs very finely in a food processor. Place them in a large bowl.
- Pulverize the pecan pieces in the food processor to very fine crumbs and add to wafers in the bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl and work together first with a fork and then with your hands.
- Form into balls about 1-inch in diameter. Roll in ground nuts, powdered sugar, cocoa, coconut, or coffee powder.
- Balls can be served cold or at room temperature.
Make Ahead Option
The balls can be frozen for up to three months before they are rolled in the nuts or other finishing ingredients.
√ See the full Hors d’Oeuvres Reception Menu