For the final item on our hors d’oeuvres reception menu, we’re serving up this savory, celebration-worthy pâté. We’ve pulled together the full list of hors d’oeuvres in the Hors d’Oeuvres Reception Menu.
This pâté is vegetarian and parve. Serve it on a buffet table with thin slices of French bread.
The recipe comes from “W” on allrecipes.com, who picked it up at a winery’s wine tasting party. I’ve substituted margarine for butter to make the pâté fit into a meat menu. I also incorporated the recommendation of several commentors to add a splash of white wine to the mushrooms as they sauté.
Ingredients for Mushroom and Walnut Pâté (Parve)
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup minced shallots
- ½ cup unsalted margarine
- ¼ pound shitake mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ pound crimini mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ pound portobello mushrooms, chopped
- Splash of white wine
- 1 Tablespoon roasted garlic puree
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Instructions for Mushroom Pâté
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread walnuts in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Toast 10 minutes, until fragrant and lightly browned.
- In a large sauté pan, cook shallots in margarine over medium heat until translucent. Then add chopped mushrooms, garlic, splash of white wine, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Process toasted walnuts and olive oil in a blender or food processor until mixture forms a thick paste. Spoon in the cooked mushroom mixture, and process to desired texture.
- Place mixture into well-oiled ramekins or bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, turn pâté out onto serving platter.
Make Ahead Option
Pâté can be prepared the day before and refrigerated overnight. Wait to turn out the pâté until just ready to serve.