This week, we’re sharing recipes for dessert foods to accompany the wedding cake. Intimate weddings don’t need elaborate dessert buffets, but serving something alongside the cake helps end the meal on a celebratory note. Look for an accompaniment that will complement the cake’s flavor, add color, or provide a contrasting texture.
Fresh berries make colorful, fresh decorations for a spring wedding cake. They also make a great accompaniment when served with the cake. You can serve fresh berries uncooked with your cake if you serve them the same day you buy them or –if they are very fresh– the next day. Turning them into a compote will preserve the flavor an additional day as well as create a pleasing melding of the flavors.
Ingredients for Spring Berry Compote (Parev/Non-Dairy)
40 Servings with cake
- 2½ pints fresh raspberries
- 2½ pints fresh blueberries
- 2½ pints fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2½ cups graduated sugar
- ½ cup frozen orange juice concentrate
Instructions for Spring Berry Compote Recipe
- In a saucepan over medium heat, heat raspberries and strawberries; Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the strawberries and simmer until strawberries begin to soften (about 3 minutes).
- Add sugar and orange juice concentrate and simmer until sugar dissolves (about 3 more minutes).
- Chill 1 hour. Stir and spoon into dessert dishes.
Make Ahead Option
Compote can be made up to 2 days ahead and stored in a covered container in the refrigerator.
√ Read more recent posts…