This week, we’re sharing recipes for dessert foods to accompany the wedding cake. Intimate weddings don’t need elaborate dessert buffets, but serving something alongside the cake helps end the meal on a celebratory note. Look for an accompaniment that will complement the cake’s flavor, add color, or provide a contrasting texture.
This fruit salad, with it’s bright colors and flavors, is another great dessert for a spring wedding. This recipe is from Marlena Spieler’s The Jewish Heritage Cookbook, which is published in the UK.
The one adjustment I made to the recipe is to increase the quantity of the ingredients to yield 40 servings.
Ingredients for Tropical Red and Orange Fruit Salad
Makes 40 servings when served with cake
- 7 pounds strawberries, hulled and halved
- 24 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 24 small blood oranges, peeled and segmented
- 4 cups dry white wine
- Sugar to taste
- Put the strawberries and oranges into a serving bowl.
- Pour the wine over the fruit and add sugar to taste. Toss gently and then chill until ready to serve.