Ingredients and Materials
- ½ cup ground hazelnuts
- 4 plastic straws
Instructions for Assembling Hazelnut Wedding Cake
- Place bottom piece of 10-inch cake layer on serving dish. Slip 3 x 5″ pieces of waxed paper 1 inch under cake layer. This makes the paper easily removable when you are through frosting the cake and keeps the plate clean.
- Spread a ½-inch layer of filling on top of bottom piece. Place top piece over it and frost entire layer.
- Scatter 1/3 cup ground hazelnuts on the waxed paper segments. Lift paper gently and toss nuts onto cake. Repeat until all the nuts are used and remove paper. Put this layer to the side.
- Use the same method to frost the 6-inch layer on a separate plate. Frost the edges of the cardboard, too, and use the remainder of the ground nuts.
- Refrigerate the layers until a few hours before you plan to serve it.
- When you are ready to complete cake, cut 4 pieces of straws the height of the 10-inch cake layer. Place the straws into the cake in a circle, each about 2 inches away from the center.
- Place the 6-inch cake layer on top of the 10-inch layer.
Make Ahead Options
The cake layers can be frozen for 2 weeks. Move them to the refrigerator 24 hours before you need them. When you freeze the cakes, put them in the freezer uncovered for an hour to set the frosting, then cover them very well.