Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s engagement announcement at the end of November totally upended our list of top ten blog posts for 2017. For the first eleven months of the year, the most sought-after posts were those that answered basic questions about planning a Jewish wedding, like “What do the Jewish bride and groom wear,” and “How tall should the huppah poles be?” But since Harry and Kate made their intentions official four weeks ago, posts referencing Buckingham Palace receptions and the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton shot up out of the background to take half of the top spots.
Couples planning weddings appear to be googling for royal inspiration for wedding dresses and wedding menus, in particular. And while we don’t yet have many details from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s upcoming wedding, we can look to Will and Kate for inspiration.
As we look back at Huppahs.com’s all-time collection of blog posts, these ten claimed the top spots for popularity in 2017:
10. Your Own Royal Canape Reception: Kosher-fied Menu and Recipes – On the morning of William and Kate’s wedding, Queen Elizabeth threw them a canape reception. Over the following two weeks we posted recipes for kosher versions of nine of the canapes, including such tasty tidbits as poached asparagus spears and smoked haddock fishcakes. This post links to them all.
9. The Jewish Wedding Ceremony, Step by Step – Starting with the bride’s reception and the groom’s table, through the huppah ceremony, and finishing with yichud, this post lays out the parts of a traditional Jewish wedding ceremony.
8. DIY wedding dress in Grace Kelly style from Vogue Patterns – Kate Middleton’s wedding dress drew comparisons to Grace Kelly. This post links to sewing patterns for wedding dresses with silhouettes and details inspired by the iconic dresses of these two brides.
7. 5 Tips for Creating an Inviting Wedding Pie Dessert Buffet – A down-home outlier among the royal posts, this dessert option started trending several years ago and continues to charm.
6. Wedding Menu Fit for Royalty (You!) – A master class from Buckingham Palace on how to feed a crowd.
5. Wedding DIY: How to Decorate a Table with Garland – A collaborative post of Huppahs.com and FiftyFlowers.
4. Wedding Recipe: Garlic-Herb Crusted Beef Roast for a Crowd (Meat) – A British classic for your own wedding menu.
3. How tall should the huppah (chuppah) poles be? – The answer to this perennially popular question.
2. What do the Jewish bride and groom wear? – Why it’s all about white.
1. Recipe: Roasted Rosemary Potatoes with Garlic for 50 (Parve) – As the most popular menu item from the Buckingham Palace dinner reception menu, the humble potato takes the top spot among blog posts, in the form of a practical and flavorful selection for your own wedding menu.
I’m already looking forward to finding out about the wedding trends that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will inspire in 2018.
[Photos: Official Buckingham Palace engagement photos of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle by photographer Alexi Lubomirski.]